„I owe loyalty to the ongoing idea
Erdélyi József: Visszatérés
Neolithic artefacts were found in Leányvár, on the Tó-hill, on the Bárány-hill and on the Tó-hill many other artefacts from the late bronze era were found; a hidden bronze treasure was found at the entrance of the Tekeres valley.
The Tó-hill was surely a prehistoric dirt castle.
The castle of Boldogkő was first mentioned in 1282.
According to the stories, it got its name from king Béla IV., when after his defeat from the Turks, he was hidden in the neighbourhood dressed as a serf by the royal dryer named Bodó. He hid the group in the tunnel network under his hut from the enemies. The king was saved. After this Bodó sent seven fairy girls to the king. Later on Béla to express his gratitude for the escape and the gifts, he offered Bodó two settlements and its territories, he only wanted him to build a strong castle on a hill so he could protect the villages.
The castle was built in 7 years and it was so nice, that people from all over the country came to see it.
The stone was named Bodó stone, the building got the name Bodókő castle. All seven girls held their marriages here at once, even the king and the queen were present. Due to the suggestion of the king, the castle got the name Boldogkő. (happy stone)
The castle is in the hands of the municipality now. In 2002 great renovations and excavations started in the castle, what are continuing this year.
In the middle of August, 2009 the Boldogkő Castle Gallery was opened, and it offers the opportunity for young photographers to show their talent.
There are permanent exhibitions in the castle, one started on 11th March, named „Itt közdtenek honért...” 2010 showing the memories of the Carpathean basin and the Middle age of Hungary from the founding of the state until the Rákóczi freedom fights. The most intersting parts of the exhibition are pictures and objects about the local money making and many old maps can also be found here.
"A reneszánsz világa, a világ reneszánsza" (The world of renaissance, the renaissance of the world) exhibition
Interesting souverirs can be bought in the castle.
The view is magnificent from the upper parts of the castle.
Count Péchy Gábor bought the manor in 1753 from the Jesuits of Lőcse and built a castle on it in 1768. The park has a very special microclimate due to a lake supplied from the Tekeres stream. The garden represents both the English and French styles.
Old pine trees, Tisza trees, and maples can still be seen here, and many rare bird species, newts and crayfish make this place very special.
In the village under the castle is the old Péchy mansion.
The St Donát chapel was built on the road leading to the castle in 1861 against hailstorms.
The Roman catholic church was built between 1768 and 1773 by Péchy Gábor together with the castle, while the school for boys and the family tomb was made by Péchy Ema in 1861.
The Greek catholic church was built in 1762.
In the country house all visitors can take a look at the local historic collection with traditional tools that were used by the smith in his workshop and an exhibition about the values of the Zemplén is also open to all guests.
Interesting about the village is the unique restaurant under the castle, where tourists can drink and refresh themselves after a long trip. The restaurant is becoming more and more popular, guests are coming even from abroad.
A bite of the Middle ages
Restaurant Castrum Boldua is welcoming guests from the spring of 2007 among the walls of the castle of Boldogkő. The inner view of the restaurant represents the age of Béla IV. with all details.
The coats of arms decorating the walls are all connected to the history of the castle and these show signs of local noble families.
Our inquiring guests can even take a look at how all meals are prepared in our sight kitchen.
All the old meals are done according to researched recipes from the past, and the guests have to eat these meals as in the past, with the use of their bare hands. Guests can only use spoons to eat the trimmings, as our ancestrors did.
The capacity of the restaurant is 120 people, what can be extended to plus 50 in good weather, as then we can open our terrace, from which our guests can enjoy a great view and the beautiful sunset. We are capable of organizing different dinners, company events even with horse parade and archery shows, if needed.
Tourist offer: We are offering many beautiful and exciting tours for our visitors, such as the dirt castle trip, the place of historic artefacts occurence trip that can be found at our website.
Komaróc / Kamarovce/ that can be found in Upper Hungary.
The village is organizing its traditional castle games for the tenth time now, on 6-7th of August, where all visitors are welcome.
Marriages in the castle
Besides joint tools, the village got a mobile stage and two touristic little road trains which will probably be a big hit among local and incoming tourists as well.
The handover ceremony and the closing event of the Festival is taking place on the weekend satring on 17th of September, 2010, where Szegedi Csaba singer of the Opera house, the „Diósgyőri Aranysarkantyús Lovagrend”, the Cantri-jó band and the Mobil Mánia band will also perform, and we will also have a memory night for Jimmy.